UNLOCKING SEDGEFORD'S MEDIEVAL PAST
ABOUT THE COURSE
This year's course will build on and continue the research programme started during 2018 and will be examining two main areas:
1. How the river and its valley were utilised during Anglo-Saxon and post-conquest times.
Researching the sixteen acre Reeddam pond (now shown to be a middle Anglo-Saxon construct), mills along the river and the 'canal' running parallel to and to the the south of the river will be investigated further. The 'canal' is being re-excavated with the aim of finding a definitive dating for its initial construction (9th/10th century? or post conquest?).
2. Sedgeford church and the site of the medieval manor.
The church is the only medieval building still to be seen in Sedgeford. SHARP's view has been that the first phase of building began after 1250, but, during 2018 the suggestion was made that the lowest part of the round tower might be earlier (early 12th century) and be a surviving remnant of a church commissioned by Bishop de Losinga (1094 - 1122).
Although the roof of the nave, aisles and chancel is 19th century, that of the 15th century south transept is medieval and had been used elsewhere beforehand. The hypothesis is that it was brought from the manorial hall, just to the south, after this became redundant when Norwich Cathedral Priory gave up its arable interest in Sedgeford after 1431. A further survey of the roof will look into this idea. The church has a large number of medieval graffiti inscribed on its walls and pillars. These will be studied as an insight into the medieval mind and spiritual belief.
There will be a day-visit to Kings Lynn and Castle Acre to study medieval buildings, churches and the Priory.
Week 2 - w/c 5th July 2020
On Site Full - £430
On Site Concession - £340
Off Site - £290