At a point, somewhere in the latter half of the 11th century, the settlement centre shifts. Moving north across the river and forming the basis of today’s village. The reasons for the move are uncertain. What we know is that the settlement moved to a point around the contemporary West Hall, south of the Early Medieval parish church. Excavations carried out between 1996 – 2000 in the adjacent West Hall Paddock uncovered the remains of a structure’s foundation. Three nearby, west-east aligned, grave cuts inferring the religious nature of the building. Radiocarbon dating from one of the burials produced an age of between AD 1010 -1180.
The modern-day church of St. Mary the Virgin lies close to the West Hall Paddock site but across on the north bank of the Heacham River. The earliest documentary evidence for a church in Sedgeford dates from 1205. None of the surviving fabric of the current building dates to before the 13th century. The church grew considerably throughout the Medieval period while Sedgeford enjoyed strong links with Norwich Cathedral Priory.